Sinus Augmentation in North Miami Beach, FL
Improve Your Implant Candidacy with Sinus Lift Surgery
Individuals who have lost teeth in their upper jaw and likely experienced bone loss, in which case dental implants may not be an option without first undergoing a sinus augmentation procedure. Sinus augmentation can help regenerate bone in the upper jaw to provide a stable foundation for dental implants.
At Dr. Abbo Advanced Dentistry, Dr. Eli Abbo is one of the best dentists in North Miami Beach for implant dentistry. Learn more about sinus lifts and how they can help boost your implant candidacy.
What is Sinus Augmentation?
Sinus augmentation, also known as a sinus lift, is a surgical procedure that involves adding bone to the upper jaw in the area of the molars and premolars. The procedure increases the height of the bone in the area, allowing for the placement of dental implants. The bone is added to the area between the jaw and the maxillary sinuses located above the upper jawbone.
When is Sinus Augmentation Necessary?
A sinus augmentation is typically necessary when there’s insufficient bone in the upper jaw to support dental implants. This can be caused by:
- Tooth Loss: When a tooth is lost, the bone in the jaw that supports the tooth can start to resorb, or shrink. Over time, this can lead to insufficient bone to support a dental implant.
- Gum Disease: Gum disease can also cause bone loss in the jaw, leading to insufficient bone for implants.
- Trauma: Trauma to the jaw can also cause bone loss.
The Sinus Augmentation Process
The sinus augmentation process typically involves the following steps:
- Anesthesia: You’ll be given local anesthesia to numb the area where the sinus lift will be performed.
- Incision: Dr. Abbo will make an incision in the gum tissue to expose the bone in the upper jaw.
- Access to the Sinus: Your Florida dentist will create a small opening in the bone to access the sinus cavity.
- Graft Placement: A bone graft material, often obtained from your own body or a donor, is placed into the space created by the sinus lift. This graft material will help regenerate bone in the upper jaw over time.
- Healing: Your body will need time to heal and for the bone to regenerate in the upper jaw. This can take several months.
Sinus Augmentation Aftercare
Here are some tips for post-operative care after sinus augmentation:
- Bite down on gauze to control bleeding and promote clotting.
- Apply ice to the surgical area for the first 24 hours to reduce swelling.
- Rest and avoid strenuous activity for 48 hours.
- Don’t brush or floss the surgical area for the first week.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water two to three times a day.
- Stick to soft foods for the first week.
- Don’t drink through a straw or smoke for at least two weeks.
Following these instructions can promote healing and reduce the risk of complications after sinus augmentation. Contact your dentist in North Miami Beach, FL, if you experience any pain, swelling, or signs of infection.
Frequently Asked Questions
How painful is sinus augmentation?
A sinus augmentation is done under local anesthesia or sedation, so you should not feel any pain during the procedure. However, there may be some discomfort and swelling after the surgery, which can be managed with pain medication prescribed by your dentist or oral surgeon.
Is sinus augmentation the same as bone grafting?
A sinus augmentation is a type of bone grafting procedure that adds bone to the upper jaw in the area of the molars and premolars. Other bone grafting procedures may be used in other areas of the jaw to support dental implants.
What is the success rate of sinus augmentation?
The success rate of sinus augmentation varies depending on the individual case, but overall, the procedure has a high success rate. With proper post-operative care and follow-up, the bone graft should fuse with the existing bone, creating a stable foundation for dental implants.
Does a sinus lift change facial appearance?
A sinus lift should not significantly change facial appearance. The bone added during the procedure is in the upper jaw, which is not a highly visible area. However, the procedure can improve the appearance of the smile by allowing for the placement of dental implants, which can fill in gaps and improve overall tooth alignment.
Discover How Sinus Augmentation Can Streamline Your Implant Placement
If you’re considering dental implants and have been told that you don’t have enough bone in the upper jaw, sinus augmentation may be a viable option. Consult with Dr. Abbo to determine if the procedure is ideal for you. Call our North Miami Beach, FL, office at 305-945-0909 or fill out our online contact form to schedule an appointment. We proudly welcome patients in Aventura, Hallandale Beach, and Miami Gardens.